Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 5 - Storage Containers

Week 5 at the Clutter Free Classroom was all about storage containers. I love storage containers. But I'm cheap and only buy what's on sale and wait until I absolutely have to have them. Which is how I ended up with these shoebox storage containers that I was using for Math Stations.





But I had no real good place to use store them. So they were cluttering my classroom tabletops. I'm trying to become clutter-free and I was forced to purge and (re)discover a great storage unit.









When I first got my job and inherited my classroom I spent many hours going through the different shelves and units in the room and trying to get organized. I hadn't revisted this one until recently, my amazing rolling cart of drawers:






Its amazing for storage reasons but also because the top is just the right height for students to work at while standing, which first graders love to do.




I took the contents of my Math Station containters and created tags for 10 station drawers for Math. The top 5 drawers are indoor recess activities - blocks, magnetix, clay, etc. The crazy part was that I didn't have to get rid of much to accomplish this. It was all about condensing what I already had, donating some things and tossing the old stuff that I knew I didn't need and would never use. Ahhh.


I'm loving tacking the clutter. I just wish there weren't so much of it. Head over to the Clutter Free Classroom for more fabulous ideas and inspiration!


Clutter-Free Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment