Monday, January 9, 2012

Clutter-Free Week 1

The first challenge for the Clutter-Free classroom was to take pictures of the clutter.
I do not normally invite people into my classroom. I'm paranoid they will judge (hate) my teaching style. And it's a messy room. I call it organized chaos but it isn't so organized. I hate having substitutes unless I know ahead of time and can neatly pile things. Despite all that, welcome to my first grade classroom, my home away from home:




















Notice those big beautiful built-in closets? That was my organizational task this summer. The before picture on this one was bad. And I know I can purge more.





























My library/whole group/calendar area:























There are currently some empty book crates on my book shelves. And a pile of books in the back corner of the room that I can't figure out just how to organize. I love books, they are hard to purge:



And I've got an amazing Math cart full of manipulatives that are fairly well organized in the drawers below but the top level seems to be a landing ground:




And I've saved the messiest for last. My teaching table, though this is the state of it at the end of the day:




This year to keep it simple and keep from creating piles I decided not to use a desk. I have it but it is the students' computer area. And because of that I end up with piles on my table!



























So the questions to think about were: What were your thoughts when you took your before pictures? Was your "current state of affairs" better or worse than you thought. What are you most excited about tackling?



I was pretty much thinking I can't believe I'm taking these pictures to share with the world. But I also knew that by doing so I would be held accountable to clear the clutter. I'm excited to tackle the bookcase behind my teaching table because I've got many SPOTS: Something Pretty On the Shelf. You know those books you HAD to have, the helpful handouts from a workshop, the collection of whatever that you might use down the road.


Thanks for sticking with me through all this mess!!!




Clutter-Free Classroom



2 comments:

  1. It doesn't look as bad as I expected but I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Maybe then you can help your father clean out his work room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks like you've got some great storage space. It just needs a bit of sprucing up.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete